Thursday, October 27, 2011


Large Yellow Tote Style Purse with Owl. 1960s. Maker: Faye Mell Design, Fleurette Inc., Miami, Florida. Fabulous large mustard yellow woven fabric tote style handbag with inner kiss-lock pocket and twist closure. What makes it special, besides the great size, is the slightly-raised needlepoint owl on a branch, embellished with beads and sequins. Owls were popular in the ‘60s and ‘70s and, as fashionistas know, the owl motif has made a comeback in clothes, jewelry and home décor items. 

Naturally, I have a story to go with this purse. I was carrying it recently as I walked into a chi-chi vintage clothing store near Los Angeles. An employee remarked that they, too, have an owl purse. I looked at it and said, “Oh, it’s a Jolles.” The woman asked what I meant. I said, “The maker. It’s Jolles.” The woman looked at the tag for verification and sure enough, I was right. I told my daughter about it when I got home. She asked about the price of the Jolles bag. After I told her, she said, “They were asking THAT much for the purse and they didn’t even know the maker?”

Yep, if it had been just a bit less money, I would have that owl purse, too, and not just because it's a Jolles, but because it was awesome!

Photobucket

Photobucket



No comments: