Friday, November 19, 2010

Cornucopia Purse. 1960s. Maker: Unknown. Large vintage tote-style purse made of tan woven fabric with a tan vinyl (or "pleather") top, bottom strip and handle. It’s very stiff and was barely used, but someone has cleverly reinforced one of the grommets in back with a nut and bolt. The design is an autumn-themed cornucopia, or “horn of plenty” with a variety of embroidered fruits and vegetables spilling out. It’s decorated with faux pearls, gems and gold rope trim, while an appliquéd bee buzzes overhead.

It possibly began as a General Crafts kit that was purchased by a ‘60s housewife who then assembled it. These kit bags are my favorite style of purse to collect and to carry. While this is a rare design in terms of what I’ve seen online and at the vintage shows, I had two of them. I gave one to a lifelong friend for whom I am very thankful.

I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving, good health, great friends, and many excellent vintage finds!

Photobucket



No comments: