Thursday, August 2, 2007

Vintage Mixed Media Under the Sea-Themed Purse. 1960s. Maker: Straw World, Hialeah, Florida. This is one major fashion statement of a purse, made of thick bands of wicker and covered in the front and on the sides with burlap. The burlap was then decorated with real shells, seaweed and a genuine dead seahorse, which looks almost angelic with its shell wings. There are also scattered rhinestones, faux pearls and opalescent stones, as well as gold edging. It practically screams ‘60s Florida tourist, with big cat-eye sunglasses and Bermuda shorts. When a purse is this bulky (12” high, 14” across, 6” deep), I’m worried that I’ll bump against something, so don’t take her out, because her décor is somewhat fragile. Some of the shells need to be reglued and, also, I’d hate for Mr. Seahorse to break, considering how long he’s lasted. Also, I don’t own any Bermuda shorts.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

Okay this one wins !!! I love it!!!

VintagePurseGal said...

She's a bit haggard, but that seahorse is so funky that it makes up for it. Like a scary old aunt wearing great earrings.

Ech. I really need to work on my analogies.